2022 Most Innovative Program
The City’s Harbor Department Code Enforcement Division was recognized as the “2022 Most Innovative Program” at the recent California Association of Code Enforcement Officers annual conference.
The Code Enforcement team was recognized for:
- Encouraging boaters to follow safe boating practices and harbor rules and regulations.
- Collaborating efficiently with Harbor Department colleagues who patrol the Harbor and identify, document and address unsafe boaters and violations of local, state and federal laws.
- Use of technology and equipment unique to the harbor environment, including water-resistant computers and cameras, noise meters and specialized safety equipment.
- Development of department and division policies, procedures and training programs to support the City’s municipal code regulations that apply to the harbor.
- Development of outreach programs and materials for the public and community stakeholders.
- Removing more than 75 abandoned or inoperable vehicles from the harbor with state grant funding.
Code Enforcement staff patrols Newport Harbor daily to prevent or correct violations, which can include dilapidated, inoperable or abandoned vessels; lack of compliance with the terms and conditions of permits issued to various harbor users; public nuisances such as noise, water quality and trash; commercial charters and boat rental businesses operating without permits or licenses; boating safety violations; or sea lions damaging vessels and docks.